Menu

Monday, October 18, 2010

Jen's Writing and Facebook


I'm just leaving a quick note to let everyone know that I have a Facebook page called "Jen's Writing" where I post miscellaneous things that I've written. Don't worry.... As of yet I haven't posted any whole novels on there ... or stories that take a lot of dedication to read.
Stop by and give me a "Like" if you like!
Stella Adler Academy reminded me on Facebook this week that Henrik Ibsen said,
‎"Before I write one word I must know the character. I must penetrate into the last wrinkle of her soul. I always proceed from the individual. As soon as I am certain of every aspect of her humanity, I have to also have her exterior in mind down to the last button. How she stands and walks, how she bears herself, what her voice sounds like. I do not let her go until her fate is fulfilled."
Stella Adler also followed this technique as an actress. She talked about how she learned something of Ibsen's character, Nora, from "A Doll's House," by the way she watched her husband have a drink. In a way, the playwright was the teacher and the actor did her homework, in turn teaching the audience.

I adore artists who know their characters that well, and I regret very much that I was a generation (or two) late on being able to study with Stella Adler and her contemporaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment