Menu

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

With One Look

For some reason I have no inkling of, I woke up yesterday morning with the song "With One Look" stuck in my head.  This was completely out of the blue.  Often when I have a dream or have a song stuck in my head I can trace it back to something that triggered it, but not this time.  I just inexplicably woke up with "With One Look" playing over and over in my mind.

I went to YouTube and watched various performances of it, including the one I had first seen starring an absolute favorite of mine, Glenn Close.  Somewhere a long time ago I had seen at least part of the movie "Sunset Boulevard" starring Gloria Swanson, and I of course remember that classic line,

"I am big.  It's the pictures that got small."

At the time I don't think I was really able to grasp what the movie was truly about.  I think because I was young and the concept of ageism -- or aging -- was not something I gave a whole lot of thought to, and because I probably saw the movie on TV (small pictures!) and missed the beginning, Norma came across to me as a tragic psycho and nothing more.

Yesterday I specifically watched Glenn Close, Patti LuPone and Elaine Page performing "With One Look."  It is true that, when interpreted correctly, Norma really can "break your heart" with just one look.

The comments on Glenn Close's performance really had me thinking though.  I was both entertained and defensive when I read this one:

"she's way overacting this song. patti kept it controlled and believable"

I launched into a spoken monologue about the character of Norma, how in her heart she truly was larger than life -- as big as pictures -- and age had no bearing on her ability to affect a person with any emotion she felt was needed at the time.  Did she even realize that she would die someday?  I felt that Glenn Close performed her exactly right, and that was without mentioning the fact that we were watching a stage performance with a camera zoomed in on it.  Acting on stage, particularly in a large concert hall, is a whole different beast than acting in front of a camera.  I felt that Glenn Close in the part of Norma was being critically misjudged by people who had only ever seen her as a "movie star" in her most recognized roles like Cruella de Vil, Alex Forrest in "Fatal Attraction" and Vice President Kathryn Bennett in "Air Force One."

The comments section under the Glenn Close video in many places looked more like a debate on whether Patti LuPone or Glenn Close was better in the role.  Trust me, a YouTube comment section is no place to gather critique.  First of all, I'd venture to guess that many fans are biased in their opinions of what actors and singers are better than others.  Second, there really is no way to interpret how a form of art is better than itself.  Different works strike different people in different emotional ways.

Another comment said, 

"Yes, but it’s an interpretation that works very well because the character Norma Desmond is a has-been actress that Hollywood has long forgotten. Part of of Norma Desmond’s self-delusion is that she still believes herself to be a Hollywood star and her purchase on reality is so tenuous that she continues playing the part of a Hollywood Diva, whether anyone is watching or not. In this part, I prefer a strong actress over a strong singer. [Omitted comparison to Patti LuPone.]"

And my personal favorite comment:

"I totally agree!!! totally...we're not looking for technical singing perfection...we're looking for someone who can act like she's totally crazy, but doesn't realize it herself...Close is that actress...."

If any of you have not seen Glenn Close in a ... shall we say ... "soft" performance, I highly recommend you gain a new perspective on this great "movie star."  She's in a lot of movies I have not seen yet, but of the ones I have, I highly recommend that you consider her soft, maternal voice in Disney's "Tarzan," or try to find her in the movie "Hook," where she appeared with Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams but no one seemed to notice (including myself!)  Watch her dual roles in "Maxie," her troubled mother and wife in "In the Gloaming," or her journey from out-of-place mail-order bride to passionate and loving mother and wife in a couple of my favorite movies of all time, "Sarah, Plain and Tall" and "Skylark."

And now, without any further analysis or ado, here are Patti LuPone and Glenn Close....



No comments:

Post a Comment